Healing Crystals and Gemstones
Energy Healing - Crystal Therapy
Since ancient times civilizations have always loved the beauty and the mystery of crystals and gemstones. Crystals and gemstones contain energy making them a form of vibrational medicine which is why they are so often used in healing. Many individuals refer to healing with crystals or gemstones as crystal therapy. Gems and crystals are also used for making gem elixirs. Gem elixirs are made in a manner similar to how flower essences are made. A gem is set in water and placed out in the morning sun and the elixir is said to have the properties of the crystals and gem stones that were placed in the water. The overall effect of a gem elixir falls somewhere between homeopathy and flower essences. Many people also believe that crystals and gemstones possess a variety of properties or energies including both spiritual and healing similar to the properties of herbs. Some even find crystals and gems to be sort of magical or mystical. Regardless of your thoughts, in our age of energy therapy, crystals and gems are making a strong contribution to the healing process. There are also massage modalities considered to be a form of energy therapy.
The Power of Healing Crystals
Crystals get their healing power by what science calls the piezoelectric effect. The piezoelectric effect has been around over a hundred years and refers to an object having the ability to produce electricity when an outside stressor is applied without damaging the objects original structure. So a crystal can be placed under stress, produce electricity, without its original structure being damaged. Crystals are used in many modern technologies including lasers, electronics, and information storage. Crystals respond in unique and precise ways when exposed to different forms of energy or outside stressors including heat, light, pressure, sound and electricity without their original structure being damaged. I find it amazing that we can take a piece of quartz, apply a certain type of stressor to it, and control the output of the crystal by knowing that it will respond in a precise and unique manner.
It is these unique qualities of crystals that allows them to transmit and store energy. It is these same properties that allow healers to use crystals helping them direct and amplify their healing capabilities. A healer can utilize crystals in an organized fashion directing their energies as needed. From silicon in computers, to quartz in watches, to crystals used in healing to enhance the bodies innate healing capabilities.
Crystals, Gemstones and the Seven Chakras
Crystals are most often used in conjunction with energy healing therapies such as Reiki or Therapeutic Touch and are most often used in relationship to the seven chakras of the body. If you are unfamiliar with what a chakra is, it is the center of a spiritual or energy power in the body. The seven chakras are the energy centers of the body and is how the energy flows through us. It is known that our bodies have seven chakras or seven centers of energy or spiritual power that goes from the base of our spine to the top of our heads. It has been taught that Chakras 1, 3 and 5 are masculine and Chakras 2, 4, and 6 are feminine by nature giving each of us a built in yin-yang system that is always striving toward balance. Each energy or spiritual power is associated with a color which also represents the colors of the rainbow. The colors of the seven chakras are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. Crystals and gemstones are often placed on the seven chakra areas to enhance healing.
The 7 Chakras and their Healing Crystals
- The first chakra is known as the root chakra. It is located at the base of our spine in the area of the tail bone. The first chakra represents our foundation. It is what makes us feel grounded and connected to the earth and what drives us to survive. It is associated with the color red and the gemstones garnet, smoky quartz, black tourmaline.
- The second chakra is known as the sacral chakra. It is located in our lower abdomen about 2 inches below our navel. The second chakra represents our connection and ability to accept others and experience new things. It is associated with the color orange and the gemstones carnelian and turquoise.
- The third chakra is known as the solar plexus chakra. It is located in our upper abdomen in our stomach area. The third chakra represents our confidence and our ability of control in our lives. Some have expressed it as the center designating our personal power. It is associated with the yellow and the gemstones golden citrine and yellow topaz.
- The fourth chakra is known as the heart chakra. It is located behind our breast bone in the center of our chest. The fourth chakra represents our ability to love. It is associated with the color green and the gemstones rose quartz, jade, malachite, and watermelon tourmaline.
- The fifth chakra is known as the throat chakra. It is located in the throat area near the V of our collarbone. The fifth chakra represents our ability to communicate. It is associated with the color blue and the gemstones aquamarine, blue turquoise, and sodalite.
- The sixth chakra is known as the third eye chakra. It is located on our forehead in-between our eyes. The fifth chakra represents our ability to focus and the ability to see the overall big picture. It is associated with the color indigo and the gemstones lapis, clear quartz, and azurite.
- The seventh chakra is known as the crown chakra. It is located at the very top of our head. The seventh chakra represents our ability to connect spiritually and gives us wisdom. It is associated with the color violet and the gemstones amethyst, white topaz, and clear quartz.
Selecting, Cleansing, and Programming your Crystal
Have you ever been walking through a rocky area or out at a market and felt lured over to a particular stone or crystal. It was as if it called your name to come over to it. I have always been a rock collector myself. My dresser at home is full of crystals and rocks that I have picked up at various markets or while vacationing or hiking. I for some reason thought they were neat or pretty and kept them. Many individuals feel that you do not really pick the crystal or gemstone, that the crystal or gemstone picks you. In either case, they believe their is a significance as to why you were drawn together so they say to welcome it, pick it up and take it home.
Cleansing your Crystals
Since crystals and gemstones are said to produce electricity in response to outside stressors, you want to make sure you cleanse the stone before using it for your own needs. Even if you are not going to use it, cleanse it anyway to make sure it isn't carrying any negative energy. Cleansing crystals and gemstone is simple and can be done in a variety of ways:
- Sea Salt - Bury the crystal or gem stone in sea salt using a glass bowl or plate. Leave the stone in the salt at least 1-2 days.
- Moonlight - Some say to leave the stone outside in the light of the moon between the phase of the full and new moon.
- Sunlight - Put the crystal or gem stone out in the sunlight for several days.
- Bury it - Dig a hole in the ground and bury it for several days.
Programming your Healing Crystals
Programming a crystal or gemstone isn't difficult either. From the various sources I read, the first thing you need to do is make sure you are surrounded and protected by God's pure energy. Once you are protected, hold the cleansed crystal in your hand and focus on what you want to use the crystal or stone for. It is important to emphasize that you should only use one purpose or focus per crystal or gemstone. Do not ask the crystal or stone to perform multiple tasks. Once you are focused on the purpose and again asked for positive healing energy, your crystal or gem stone is ready to use for its programmed purpose.
I have not used crystals in conjunction with healing. However, after researching this topic and learning about gem elixirs, how quartz crystals are used in technology and how they interact with energies and programming, I have decided to give them a try. I selected amethyst and rose quartz to place near the SOQI Bed when I use it.
Written by Mara Gerke, CA, CNHP. All Rights Reserved.